Saturday, March 30, 2013

Interview with a salmon angler


          Interview with a salmon angler - Rivers Inlet, British Columbia
Reposted with permission from the Good Hope Sport Fishing Lodge

Many guests frequent Good Hope Cannery and we look forward to seeing them on the water every season.
We wanted to share a little bit about our own “BC Bob”. Bob, a regular guest and friend at Good Hope was kind enough to share some of his valuable off-season time with us recently. We thought of getting the scoop on what keeps Bob and his friends coming back to Good Hope time and time again.


Q-How were you introduced to the Rivers Inlet area and Good Hope Cannery?
“I learned about Rivers Inlet from a very good friend of mine in the retail sporting goods business.  Having owned a sporting goods store in the past, word travels fast about special fishing destinations. Anglers were always coming in and telling us about this amazing place – I just had to go. I’ve been here ever since.”

Q-How long ago was this? How many times have you fished the area?
“I’ve been fishing here now over 25 years, including quite a few years when I fished the Hakai Pass area. This is my favorite part of the coast and I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve fished the area. I’d bet it’s close to 100 of your regular trips by now”

Q-What other areas have you fished?
“I’ve tried most of the lodges on the coast and including all of those at Langara and the north shore of Haida Gwaii. There are many great fishing lodges out there and all have their own niche in the marketplace. I’ve fished the Whale Channel and the North Coast also. Nothing seems to compare to Rivers Inlet for me.”

Q-You have introduced and brought quite a few friends, family and business associates to Rivers Inlet. Can you share what you’ve heard about their experiences?
“Most of the folks who accompany me for the first time to Good hope are amazed by the scenery on the flight into the lodge. The wildlife in the area including Humpback whale shows, bears, eagles are all exciting. Add the diversity of the local fishing opportunities and it’s a hit. Good Hope has a peaceful and calm aura that is penetrating. ‘Relaxing’ doesn’t do the experience justice. It’s an amazing, addicting place.”

Q-Tell us some of the experiences you have shared with friends and family within the Rivers Inlet waters?
“One time we had over 500 white-sided dolphins heading straight for our boat and they simply split around us as they continued their journey. The water was alive and frothing with such life – there were so many I thought they’d never stop. I guess they like fishing the area also!”

Q-As you know, Rivers Inlet hosts two very different fisheries. Anglers wishing to target large Chinook usually fish the ‘Head’ while those fishing for Coho and migrating Chinook fish the ‘Mouth’. What’s your preference?
“My preference is by far the mouth of Rivers Inlet and the Fitzhugh Sound area. The primary reason is that I am close to a variety of fishing destinations and alternatives to just salmon fishing. Further, on the outside areas I am virtually guaranteed to have my own private fishing areas and can be entirely by myself among amazing opportunities. When you’re at the Head, many boats tend to fish the same spots and sometimes it becomes a little crowded. I’d rather do my own thing.”



Q-Many of the anglers who frequent Rivers Inlet’s headwaters choose to release the large Chinook caught there. What’s your preference?
“Most of what I do catch at the Head has been released. In fact, now, I release 100% of any salmon caught within the Trophy Area. Whatever I do retain while fishing the Mouth is usually the amount of fish I will consume over the off-season. We don’t need very much to keep us in fine table fare.”

Q-What’s the largest you have kept?
“I have retained a 54pound Chinook and a 24pound Northern Coho. The larger Chinook have always been released, like the 58pounder I caught last year. It was huge and felt pretty good to let it go. I’ve caught and kept my trophy and now I prefer to let the big ones go. I do understand the desire to keep a big fish here and there. Rivers Inlet is the place to find them – that’s for sure”.


Q-Has the Rivers Inlet area provided a consistent fishing opportunity for you?
“Yes I’ve always found the fishery OK and part of this success is recognizing that we need to adapt and change a few techniques, depths, presentations etc. The fish are there for sure but angling success may not be exactly what a guest did last year or the year before. Sometimes, like any area I guess people keep doing the same thing and wondering why it’s not as productive as prior years. I think it’s important to switch things up a little bit and to try new areas and techniques. It’s always fun and often more productive. What is predictable is the weather and fishing conditions. I’ve never - not been able to fish because of rough water or other conditions. There’s always been a place to wet a line and catch a fish.”

Q-We’d like to think of Good Hope as being the perfect fishing lodge – are there any areas we can work on to improve?
“Yes, I guess a couple of things come to mind. The breakfast time frame seems to be completely geared towards fishing the Head of Rivers Inlet. Everyone wants to get to be there for first light and that means such an early start at the lodge.  If anyone really wanted to sleep in and fish another area, you’d likely miss all the action and breakfast. You’d almost have to eat and then go back to bed! I understand you’ll be changing the wake up call process to exclude those who plan on sleeping in a little!”
“Also, I believe it would be nice to have is a chat session at the end of the day’s fishing and before dinner. A ‘round-table’ discussion about 6-6:30 each afternoon with the guides and some regulars to introduce new anglers to other fishing techniques and hot spots of the area. There are so many spots to fish. I’d even like to add a bit of what I’ve learned over the seasons. 

Q-What’s your favorite tackle? Do you bring any of your own gear with you?
“The tackle and gear you provide at the lodge is absolutely first class. I do prefer to bring my own reels and as far as fishing lures I do like to bring my own bottom fishing gear. Lings, Halibut etc. are all available and I like to present some of my own lures. Also, I do like to bring some of my lighter weight fishing rods and spinning reels. While you do have some of this available it’s hard to keep up with the variety I can create on my own. Between the tides I do like to fish for rockfish and have a bit of fun. One time when I brought my own 9wt. fly rod I had a large Coho on and during the fight I was sure my rod tip or reel was going to explode!”

Q-What comments have you heard from anglers who fish guided vs self-guided?
“I think most would like that extra little bit of help. I know your crew helps as much as possible and I just can’t emphasize enough how important it is to ensure everyone is fishing correctly. The ‘round table’ concept enables people to ask a lot more questions and become much more involved in learning about the fishing – rather than just listening to a fish talk.”
As an example, we all talk about fishing the tide changes and many new, self-guided anglers don’t’ know what this means. What do the fish do differently an hour before or an hour after the tide change? For regulars who have the experience, they understand these details and some may be still wondering. Of course when you have a guide with you full time, they may explain all of this in the boat. Generally, the guests I have spoken with who choose to go fully guided are very, very satisfied with the experience. The larger premium guide boats are nice and many people I’ve spoken with prefer fishing with a guide out of the smaller 20ft boats.”


Q-What have you heard from your friends about fishing Rivers Inlet and specifically with Good Hope Cannery?
“Everyone will have their favorite places to fish and for most I’ve communicated with Rivers Inlet is their home. Calm water, plenty of fishing opportunity and such a beautiful area.”
“As far as fishing with Good Hope, people really love the facility, staff and attention to detail. Good Hope is probably more expensive than the other lodges on the Central Coast. Once you experience the transportation, the place, and understand the quality there’s good reason to pay a little more. Still, it’s not that much more and a much higher value is provided overall.”

Thanks very much Bob – any tips for this coming season?
“I’m really pleased to see you providing additional tackle, bait and equipment for this year and hope to see more people fishing with me out at the mouth and Fitzhugh sound areas. Don’t be afraid to try a couple of new spots and create your own favorite place to fish! I look forward to seeing you out there. Thanks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment